“Daycare is the wrong word. We don’t take care of days, we take care of children!” – Kim Krzanowski
On Saturday March 21st, 2015 Career Advising and T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® Delaware (administered by DAEYC) hosted Delaware’s first Early Childhood Career Forum. From start to finish attendees and presenters had a blast sharing, teaching, learning and networking while showing their support for the early childhood profession.
St. George’s Technical High School provided a perfect venue for the forum. DAEYC couldn’t be more thankful for the student volunteers who woke up early on a Saturday morning to support the event!
The day started with a welcome from Ann Ward, DAEYC’s Career Advisor, and the Coordinator of T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® Delaware, Paula Holloway, who did a terrific job organizing the forum. But it wasn’t too long after their introduction that keynote speaker Kathy Moore, Center Director at Parents and Children Together at Tech pulled out her bag of hats and stole the show!
Kathy’s keynote address focused on the adaptability required to work in the early childhood field. “If you’re not flexible, you’re not in the right place! At times we must wear many hats.” And she literally did just that.
After Kathy’s rousing presentation, we moved on to Kim Krzanowski. She provided excellent tips and suggestions about the importance of professionalism in the early childhood workforce with a presentation called “Dress for Success.”
Next up was an engaging panel discussion entitled “What Do Employers Look For?” The panel featured a discussion among leaders in Delaware’s early childhood community, each possessing a wealth of management and recruitment experience in the field.
The event concluded with lunch and networking, but not before a free raffle drawing. Two lucky attendees each received a large basket of goodies!
DAEYC would like to extend a special thank you to the following individuals:
- Presenter: Ann Ward, DAEYC Career Advisor
- Presenter: Paula Holloway, T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® Delaware Coordinator
- Keynote Speaker: Kathy Moore, Center Director at Parents and Children Together at Tech
- Presenter: Kim Krzanowski, Instructional Director of Education, Delaware Technical Community College
- Panel Moderator: April Hill-Addison, Head Start Collaboration Director, Department of Education
- Panelist: Daphne Evans, Lead Facilitator, Delaware Readiness Teams
- Panelist: Devona E.G. Williams, Ph.D., President/CEO, Goeins-Williams Associates, Inc.
- Panelist: Tony Sianni, Training and Education Administrator, Department of Health and Social Services
- Panelist: Jeff Benatti, Executive Director, New Castle County Head Start
Also, we would like to thank the following early childhood organizations who participated:
Department of Education- Delaware First
Office of Early Learning
Delaware Institute for Excellence in Early Childhood Professional Development Team
Delaware Association for the Education of Young Children
T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® Delaware
Delaware Technical Community College
Office of Child Care Licensing
Colonial School District- Colonial Early Education Program
Babes on the Square Too